Mawphanlur, an offbeat destination in Meghalaya
Meghalaya is a blissful place and all you can find beauty in all the nooks and corners of the state. Mawphanlur is one such place that is tucked away in the West Khasi Hills around 95 km from Shillong. With lush green hillocks all around and quaint ponds, the place is simply a wonderful and adventurous destination.
The water bodies at this place are ideal for water sports. You can go out for kayaking and get yourself worked up. After spending your energy kayaking hit the land. Go for trekking in the bewitching Khasi Hills and visit the viewpoint that offers the panoramic view of the Assam plains and the fabled land of Lum Kyllang and Lum Symper.
The accommodation at Mawphlanur is amidst the ponds and the green carpet of grass, rolling hills are sure to leave you mesmerized. Explore the place as much as you can and soak in the beauty of nature. The Mawthadraisan peak is an hour of an easy trek. Trek to the top of the peak to get panoramic views all around.
Experiences at Mawphanlur:
- Enjoy water sports activities here. Go for kayaking, rappelling and swimming at the water bodies. If you want to do angling, there are options for that too.
- Go for hiking through the village trail. The surrounding hills and greenery make up for a great landscape. Stroll through the paths of Lum Kyllang, Lum Symper, Mawten, Lum Nohkrek, Mawdoh and admire the beauty of the land. There are also a number of folklore related to these places. Don’t forget to ask your guide about them.
- Visit the Mawthadraisan peak. It is an hour uphill trek from Mawphanlur. Once at the peak, you can get sweeping views of the entire valley.
- Visit the lakeside and simply sit and relax there. After a day full of adventure, an idyllic time beside the lakeside will be truly refreshing.
- If you are fond of flying kites, then kiteflying can be included in the activities.
- Nonghkum Island: The Nonghkum Island is the second largest river island in India after Majuli. You can do camping here.
- Mairang: Mairang falls on the way between Mawphanlur and Shillong. It is a small town famous for the Kyllang rock.
Best Time to visit Mawphanlur:
You can visit the place any time of the year. At Meghalaya, you can never actually predict the weather. But usually, October to April has clear skies and best weather. You can make a week-long plan if you want to visit the important places of Meghalaya.
Mawphanlur also serves as a perfect weekend destination from Shillong.
How to Reach Mawphanlur:
The nearest airport is Umroi Airport at Shillong. The nearest Railway head is Guwahati. From Guwahati, you have to reach Shillong either by shared sumos and car, or you can hire a private car also.
From Shillong, the place is around 95 km. You can hire a car from Shillong to reach here. You can get local jeeps from Lewduh in Shillong. But such vehicles are quite less in number. Alternatively, you can take shared cabs from Shillong to Nongstoin and get down at Markasa village. From Markasa, you have to take a private vehicle to reach Mawphanlur.
Do you want to explore such offbeat and unexplored destinations? Are you looking for trips and customized tours to the exotic Northeast India? Get in touch with our Northeast specialists who offer the best rates to our readers and followers.
[jetpack_subscription_form title=”Enjoyed reading !” subscribe_text=”Join our mailing list to receive the fresh & unique Stories from Northeast India” subscribe_button=”Join”]