Dramatic landscapes and salubrious climate makes Mizoram one of the most sought-after destinations among the nature lovers. Thenzawl is situated in the Serchhip district of Mizoram, around 43 km from the capital city, Aizawl. One of the most exotic villages of Mizoram, Thenzwal should be on your itinerary while you are on a visit to Mizoram.
Thenzawl was initially covered by totally a dense forest and wild animals used to be seen there. Only after 1961, the forest was cleared, the land was used for cultivation and people started inhabiting there. The place is for all those travellers seeking offbeat experiences. The place is a simple and quaint village rich in flora and fauna. The Vantwanf Falls, the tallest waterfall in Mizoram is neat to the village. And like all northeastern states, this village also has its share of folklore. So if you want an offbeat experience in the equally offbeat northeast India, take a trip to Mizoram and visit Thenzawl. The place is also known for the Mizo handlooms.
Experiences at Thenzawl:
- Vantwang Falls: Vantwang Falls is around 5 km from the village of Thenzawl and is the largest and the most impressive falls of Mizoram at the Lau River falling from a height of 750 ft. The viewpoint is amazing and you can see the natural landscape at their best.
- Deer Park: When the forests were cleared for habitation, it had an effect on the deer population of the place. The Deer Park was created to give a protected habitation to the deer. The animals are kept in their natural environment and only the outer boundary is protected. At the Deer Park, you can see these animals really close and roam around freely.
- Tuirihiau: This is a beautiful waterfall a few minuted drive from Thenzawl. This is a wonderful location in the wilderness and the waterfall can be seen from behind. The uniqueness of Turihiau is that it caves in behind the fall like an arc.
- Chawngchilhi Puk: This is a beautiful cave with a lovely Mizo legend behind it. Chawngchilhi Puk is the cave of Chawngchilhi, a girl who fell in love with a serpent and gave birth to their offspring and then the cave was named after the girl. The place is surrounded by mountains and greenery and looks simply amazing.
- After you have visited all the natural wonders of the place, take a look at the Mizo handloom industry. You can observe the indigenous weaving techniques of the Mizos while you admire the rich and colourful varieties of handlooms here.
- Aizawl: The capital city of Mizoram is just 43 km from this village.
- Hmuifang: Hmuifang is another Mizo village where you can see the simple village life of the Mizos. This is also the venue of the annual Anthurium festival.
Best Time to visit:
Thenzawl experiences a pleasant and temperate climate throughout the year. While the summers are not very hot, the monsoons bring in heavy rainfall while the winters are dry and sunny. You can visit the place throughout the year.
How to reach Thenzawl:
The nearest airport is Lengpui Airport (AJL) at Aizawl. It is well connected from Kolkata, Guwahati and Agartala.
The nearest major Railway Station is Silchar, 189 km from Thenzawl.
The best way to visit the village is from Aizawl. From Aizawl, cabs are available for Thenzawl.
Do you want to explore such offbeat and unexplored destinations? Are you looking for trips and customized tours to the exotic Northeast India? Get in touch with our Northeast specialists who offer the best rates to our readers and followers.
[jetpack_subscription_form title=”Enjoyed reading !” subscribe_text=”Join our mailing list to receive the fresh & unique Stories from Northeast India.” subscribe_button=”Join”]