Darap – an offbeat destination in Sikkim
Darap is one of the unexplored and undiscovered beauties of Sikkim where you can spend a bucolic weekend amidst nature away from the crowd. The place is situated just 7 km from the busy town of Pelling at an altitude of 5100 feet in West Sikkim.
The word Darap is originated from the Limboo word ’Tan-lop’ that literally means a plain or even land. The place is mainly inhabited by the Limboo community along with other small communities all living in harmony. The place is quite rich culturally and traditionally and the village is coming up as an upcoming eco-tourism and homestay destination.
So if you are planning for an offbeat destination to spend your weekend, then Darap at west Sikkim can be an ideal getaway. With the beautiful village and the scenic wonders, the holiday will be quite refreshing. The place can be an ideal weekend destination from Kolkata.
Experiences at Darap:
- The place is quite near to Pelling town, yet away from the touristy crowd. You can enjoy the nature here in an unhindered manner.
- You can go for a hike to Rani Dhunga, from where great views of Mt. Kanchenjunga can be seen. You need one extra day if you plan to do this trek.
- You can visit Pelling and the nearby places of interest like Sangachoeling Monastery, Pemyangyse Monastery, Dubdi Monastery, Singshore Bridge, Kanchenjunga Waterfalls and Rabdentse ruins.
- Visit the Rimbi Waterfall and the Karchen Power House.
- Enjoy and experience the local tradition and culture.
- Visit the 200 years old Limboo traditional house. This ancient house has solid mud floors and tar-encrusted ceilings from the constantly burning fire. This house has been passed down from generation to generation of Nepali Limboo tribesmen.
- Visit the nearby village Nambu from where you can visit the holy cave where Guru Padmasambhava had meditated.
- Pelling is only 7 km from the place. Pelling is a well known and beautiful tourist destination.
- Yuksom, the ancient capital of Sikkim is also 25 km away. Yuksom serves as the base camp of the Dzongri and Goechela Trek.
- Ravangla in South Sikkim is another beautiful destination and is 60 km.
- Kaluk, Rinchenpong, Hee, Bermiok are all within 40 to 50 km from the place.
- Visit the Varsey Rhododendron Sanctuary, especially if you are visiting in the month of April. The sanctuary is full of varieties of blooming rhododendrons during this time.
Best Time to visit Darap:
You can visit the place at any time of the year. Monsoons should be avoided as there is fear of rain and landslides.
How to reach:
The nearest Railhead is New Jalpaiguri and the nearest airport is Bagdogra. The place is about 150 km from Siliguri and125 km by road from Gangtok and is around 4-5 hours drive.
Darap lies between Pelling and Yuksom. And can be reached very easily from Pelling through the Pelling-Yuksom road. The place can be reached from any corner of Sikkim by shared jeep or reserved car.
Do you want to explore such offbeat and unexplored destinations? Are you looking for trips and customized tours to the exotic Northeast India? Get in touch with our Northeast specialists who offer the best rates to our readers and followers.
[jetpack_subscription_form title=”Enjoyed reading !” subscribe_text=”Join our mailing list to receive the fresh & unique Stories from Northeast India.” subscribe_button=”Join”]