Shnongpdeng is like a beautiful paradise. The place is nestled in the Jaintia hills of Meghalaya, very near to Dawki with the Umngot River snaking its way beside it. The place has almost everything for a nature lover as well as the adventure seekers. Blessed with terrains that beckon all the enthusiastic travellers for camping, angling, rock climbing and other water sports activities. Besides the crystal clear waters of the Umngot River is an added attraction. The Umngot River traverses through Meghalaya before flowing into Bangladesh and is one of the most beautiful rivers of the country.
Shnongpdeng has a campsite to die for, just beside the flowing Umngot River. You can either stay at the quaint homestays or camp at the riverside while enjoying the natural views. You can also go for a country boat ride or can even try kayaking. This is a place where you can simply relax and enjoy the calmness of the nature around you.
Experiences at Shnongpdeng:
- Take a country boat ride on the Umngot River. Marvel at the clear waters of the River. The water is so clear that you will be able to see the rocks beneath clearly. There is a small waterfall nearby where you can take the boat. And while boating, you can see the fishes clearly underwater.
- Take a dip in the waters of the Umngot River. The riverside has changing rooms too.
- For the adventure enthusiasts, you can do kayaking, snorkelling as well as scuba diving here. Zip-lining and Cliff-jumping can also be done here.
- You can go for trekking along the riverside and nearby hillocks. You might even be able to see a few birds here.
- Camp beside the river bed. And in the evening, enjoy around the campfire while looking at the clear skies.
Shnongpdeng is very near to Dawki and Darrang. These two villages are also known for their beautiful landscape.
How to Reach Shnongpdeng:
The nearest airport is Umroi Airport at Shillong. The nearest Railway head is Guwahati.
From Shillong, Shnongpdeng is around 90 km. There are local vehicles from Shillong, but they are very less in number. You can hire a car to visit Shnongpdeng.
Best Time to visit Shnongpdeng:
The best time to visit Meghalaya is from November to April. You can make a week-long plan if you want to visit the important places of Meghalaya.
Do you want to explore such offbeat and unexplored destinations? Are you looking for trips and customized tours to the exotic Northeast India? Get in touch with our Northeast specialists who offer the best rates to our readers and followers.
[jetpack_subscription_form title=”Enjoyed reading !” subscribe_text=”Join our mailing list to receive the fresh & unique Stories from Northeast India” subscribe_button=”Join”]