Umden is a beautiful destination hidden in the lush green landscapes of Meghalaya. With natural beauty in abundance, Umden is also known for its Eri Silk production. Situated in the beautiful Ri Bhoi district of Meghalaya, the village is located in a serene valley only about 55 km from Guwahati. The village is inhabited by the Ri Bhoi community, a sub-community of the Khasis.
Umden is not only bestowed with great nature, but the place also has a rich heritage too. The place is eminent for its silk production and traditional handloom. Eri or Endi is a type of silk that is a product of silkworm that feeds mainly on a type of castor leaves. During the extraction process of silk, the weavers do not kill the silkworms as is done in normal sericulture process. According to the villagers, this is the ‘ahimsa’ tradition of sericulture.
In Umden, you can literally get spoilt for choices when it comes to activities. You can witness the silk production in the village. It is going to be a unique experience. Apart from that, you can always marvel at the natural splendour around the village. There are so many monoliths around the village with years of Khasi folklores behind them. And if your adventure bones are raring, you can always go for mountain biking along the serpentine roads of the hilly village.
Experiences at Umden:
- The best experience that you can have here is witnessing the process of sericulture like rearing of the silkworm, spinning and reeling of silk, yarn production, dyeing and finally weaving. You can see the various stages of growth of the silkworm. If the time is right, you can also see the extraction of silk. You can always see the process of weaving by the village women in their traditional machines.
- Roam about the village and enjoy the natural beauty of the place. You can trek through the tea gardens, the strawberry fields and the bamboo forests at your will.
- Embark on a trail where you can see the monoliths in the village. There is always a fable associated with these monoliths. Converse with the experienced men of the village and get enchanted by the Khasi legends, tales and lores.
- Enjoy a sumptuous Bhoi platter. In the evening try the rice cake served with tea.
- Finally, indulge in some shopping of Eri silk products. The stoles are really beautiful and can be great souvenirs from Meghalaya.
- Sohliya: Sohliya is known for its strawberry production is quite near the place.
- Shillong: The capital of Meghalaya, Shillong is just 70 km from here. You can always make a day trip from Shillong to Umden, but it is always advisable to spend a night here.
Best Time to visit Umden:
The best time to visit Meghalaya is from November to April. You can make a week-long plan if you want to visit the important places of Meghalaya.
Umden also serves as a perfect weekend destination from Guwahati and Shillong.
How to Reach Umden:
The nearest International airport is the Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport at Borjhar, Guwahati. The nearest railhead is Guwahati.
From Guwahati, the place is around 55 km and from Shillong, it is around 70 km. You can hire a car from Guwahati or Shillong to reach here.
From Shillong, you will get shared jeeps to Nongpoh. From Nongpoh, you have to hire an auto to Umden.
Do you want to explore such offbeat and unexplored destinations? Are you looking for trips and customized tours to the exotic Northeast India? Get in touch with our Northeast specialists who offer the best rates to our readers and followers. Plan your trip here.
[jetpack_subscription_form title=”Enjoyed reading !” subscribe_text=”Join our mailing list to receive the fresh & unique Stories from Northeast India” subscribe_button=”Join”]